Sometimes when I think about the Earth, saving the Earth, Global Warming, stopping Global Warming, Recycling, Energy, and all of the options and factor, it can be quite scary. I think that I am a regular person and regular people don”t want to think about these things. To be honest, most people think that they can”t change the out-come. Many are willing to fight to the end. But most have bigger, more immediate problems, like paying their bills or feeding their family or getting medical care. Now, let”s say that I want to put one hour per week into being a good Earth citizen, what do I do? Do I work on saving the Earth, stopping Global Warming, saving Energy (in my house or around the neighborhood, or around town, or around the world) or what? What groups do I join? Again, most people, who do get involved, must put their time and effort into one cause and one group. So, let me give you my opinion. I suggest that everyone to do the following:
- recycling of their own trash
- support (with campaigning, money, or your vote) leaders who will work for the Environment
- educate yourself on the issues, the problems, and the possible solutions
- pick a group and join them.
Please note that there are some things that we can not stop. The earth will get warmer and the sea will rise. And later the earth will get colder and the sea will drop. No matter how much we pollute the ocean and fresh water, they will recover. We may control how quickly and to what degree we pollute the Earth, but we are and will continue to do so. Will man-kind survive the warming and cooling and polluting of the Earth – I can not say. Let’s build a list of things to do to help save Energy:
- Turning off the tap while brushing your teeth – save 200 gallons per month.
- Turn off the lights when leaving a room.
- Walk or bike instead of driving.
- Take short showers.
- Drink tap water instead of bottled water.
- Remove unnecessary items from your car to reduce weight.
- Regularly replace the filter on your HVAC system.
- Use cold water to wash clothes.
- Install a programmable thermostat in your home.
- Unplug Unused Electronics – save 25% of the electricity used
- Look For The ENERGY STAR
- Use Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) – save 75%
- Fix Leaky faucets – save 3,000 gallons of water each year
- Buy Recycled
- Enable low-power sleep modes and turn off computers and monitors at night
- Properly Dispose of Hazardous
- Buy Fresh, Local, Food
And please check out some of these links:
- People77.com – Photo & Family Tree Website
- OnsetIsland.com – Onset Island – Onset, Ma